June 3, 2009

June 10, 2008-Bread Pudding

So J loves bread pudding and I saw this recipe from Alton Brown while bored browsing online. We had some leftover buns and I tried my hand at it. The verdict: needs denser bread and maybe fewer eggs. After chilling overnight, it was firmer and a bit better, but I thought to try it again with different bread.

So for Sunday I tried it again with a 12" loaf of Italian bread (crusty) and added 1 tsp cinnamon and about 1/2 tsp fresh nutmeg. I got the cinnamon and nutmeg from some recipes at allrecipes.com. Much better! So this is it! My go-to bread pudding recipe, though I might try it next time with just 4 or 5 eggs rather than 6--it seemed a bit scrambled egg to it. I also didn't add the raisins the second time; J liked them but I didn't.

Now as for the sauce, I substituted 1 tsp vanilla for the rum since we don't drink, but followed the rest of it. Awesome! Doubled it, of course, and it made the pudding even better. So this is my new favorite dessert; it's yummy and super easy.

I need to break out my other favorites, but probably shouldn't. S is six weeks old tomorrow, so I should start worrying about getting this weight off. I've been at this number for a few weeks now and need to focus on cutting down the calories and stepping up the activity.

On a side note, does anyone actually read my blog? If you do, please leave a comment and I'll post more often. Though I don't know if I have much to say that you can't find elsewhere and funnier in blogland.

No comments: